Oocyte donation is the process in which eggs are donated by a young (<35 years), fertile woman to a recipient. The process of egg donation requires the donor to undergo ovarian stimulation with injectable gonadotrophins. The eggs when ready are taken out in the OT under anaesthesia, using ultrasound guidance. These eggs are fertilized with the sperm of the recipient’s husband and the resulting embryos are placed in the womb of the recipient. The recipient’s endometrial lining is prepared with hormonal tablets. Any extra embryos formed are cryopreserved for future use.
A Donor is selected from registered Donor agencies. Criteria used for donor selection in our clinic are
- Age < 32years
- Should have 1 or more healthy children.
- Should not have had miscarriages.
- No family history of congenital or inherited disorder.
- Hormonal, Biochemical and viral markers should be normal.
Indications of donor egg IVF
- Premature ovarian failure
- Poor ovarian reserve
- Menopausal infertile women
- Recurrent implantation failure due to poor quality eggs.
- Recurrent pregnancy loss due to genetic abnormality in the female