IUI or intrauterine insemination is now the first choice of a couple who are trying to have a baby for the past six months to one year. However, if you want to opt intrauterine insemination (IUI) then there are a few points that you should keep in mind. One of the most important points is that at least one fallopian tube must be open and the male partner must have at least a few healthy sperm. IUI is a day care procedure and it does not need any kind of anesthesia or recovery period. Here are the details of IUI step by step procedure to help you get ready for it –
- Medical evaluation – First of all, semen analysis for men and ultrasonography and blood tests for women are performed. This gives a fair idea of the ovarian reserve in women, which means the amount of follicles left in the ovaries. This evaluation also involves checking the semen quality, amount of sperm, hormonal levels in women (FSH and AMH) and the chances of a healthy pregnancy.
- Increasing the ovarian growth – To increase the growth of ovarian follicles, some medications are given. These injections and medicines help in boosting the ovarian growth which increases the chances of getting pregnant.
3.Test to check the right time for IUI – With the ongoing medications, ultrasound is performed to check for the proper growth of eggs. When one ripe egg is present, an iui cycle is started.
- Ovulation stimulation – Then an ovulation stimulation injection is given to stimulate ovulation. This releases the egg within 36 hours.
- Taking and washing the sperms – Sperm samples are then collected from the male partner or the donor. Then the sperms are washed to remove immobile, low quality or ill shaped sperms. Only healthy and mobile sperm are retained.
- IUI Procedure – Patient lies on the exam table and the sperms are injected by a catheter. This is a painless procedure and it takes just a few minutes to complete. You can go home and resume your daily activities immediately. However some strenuous activities should be avoided.
- Pregnancy test – A pregnancy test is performed after 14 days of the IUI procedure. Patients who are prone to miscarriage are given progesterone therapy to help support the uterus lining in the meanwhile.
The chances of pregnancy in every IUI cycle is about 10 to 15%. Although the chances vary as per the other health conditions of the patient. Some patients get pregnant in the first cycle, others take about three or more of them. About three to five IUI cycles are given, after which IVF is advised. After the IUI session, here are some success tips for IUI to increase your chances of getting pregnant. Ferticity is one of the high success IUI treatment centres in Delhi with its experienced doctors like Dr Ila Gupta and Dr Nalini Mahajan. Ferticity is equipped with the latest machinery, a dedicated team and a lot of sensitivity towards its patients.