+91 9910120674, +91-11-45890000 Mon - Sat: 8am to 7pm email@example.com
A male fertility condition marked by a reduced sperm count is oligospermia. It requires the capacity to have an erection and sustain it as well as generating ejaculation at orgasm. The sperm count is considered lower than normal if the male has fewer than 15 million sperm per milliliter of semen. A complete absence of sperm is called azoospermia.
Causes of Oligospermia
There can be many possible causes of oligospermia, including the following:
- Varicocele – a swelling of the veins that drain the testicle
- Some infections
- Ejaculation problems such as retrograde ejaculation (ejaculation backward into the bladder)
- Antibodies that attack sperm ( Genetic conditions Y chromosome deletions, altered chromosomes)
- Hormonal imbalance (low testosterone, high prolactin levels)
- Undescended testicles
- Medical issues such as sclerosis, diabetes or thyroid disorders
- Celiac disease
- Recreational drugs (Alcohol, cocaine, marijuana)
- Anabolic steroid use
- Chronic stress
In order to determine the cause, specific treatment of oligospermia involves thorough examination of the patient. The patient is advised to modify his lifestyle and avoid such factors that inversely affect the process of normal spermatogenesis. Surgically correctable causes need to be identified and treated properly. Also the hormonal abnormalities that might suppress spermatogenesis and start the specific hormonal treatment to restore the normal levels of FSH and testosterone.
Oligospermia does not entirely rule out the likelihood of spontaneously conceiving. But do remember that the number of sperm, motility and shape of sperm determine whether you and your partner can conceive a child or not.
Many men with oligospermia were able to become fathers. Working with our experts Dr. Ila Gupta, a respected expert, helps increase the odds of achieving a pregnancy and having healthy babies.
Call us (+91 45890000 | +91 9910120674) to meet our fertility specialist Dr Ila Gupta to know more about your fertility options or Book an Appointment with any of them.